Let's consider one of my pet bugbears: Chinese wikipedia.  Our
readership numbers are way below what we'd like, and as I understand
it, total # of editors and articles is low as well.  So obviously a
problem for the reading team, right?

However, a solution needs to grapple with the problem of creating
content for zhwiki, which would involve language engineering and the
editing team.  Handling language variants better for reading would be
good, too, but (AFAIK) we don't have a single active member of zhwiki
on staff (according to
https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_engagement/Staff_involvement),
and just a single engineer fluent in Mandarin (according to
https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Languages). [My numbers
could be slightly off here, forgive me if so.  But clearly we don't
have a *huge presence* from zhwiki on-staff, the way we do for, say,
enwiki.]  So maybe we need to involve HR?

There are politics involved, too: perhaps the solution would involve
the Community Engagement team, to try to build up the local wikipedia
community and navigate the politics?

My point is that even a narrow focus on increasing page views fails to
address the more fundamental issues responsible, which spill outside
of the team silo.  So a strategy session isolated to the reading team
risks either missing the forest for the trees (concentrating only on
problems solvable locally), or else generating a lot of problems and
discussion on issues which can't be addressed without involving the
wider organization.  (I rather expected to see the former, but most of
the issues currently on
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Strategy/Strategy_Process seem
to be the latter.)

I think a strategy process probably needs a mix of both near- and
far-sightedness.  Identifying issues which can be solved by the team
itself  (better engagement with users, for example), but also having a
process for escalating issues that require a more organizational
response.  The latter seems especially important for a team composed
mostly of remote workers, since there aren't the same informal
watercooler-talk mechanisms available for building awareness of
broader needs.
 --scott

--
(http://cscott.net)