Occasionally its useful to pass trusted data to javascript using data
attributes on elements that you know is not from the user. In the
past, there has been security issues from using the data attribute for
information that is assumed to be trusted, but in reality could be
messed with by the user. (T58699, T105413)

We already reserve data-ooui (by reserve, I mean blacklist in the
sanitizer). But it feels wrong to use that for parts of mw that are
not ooui. I would like to propose that we reserve data-mw- prefix as
well for general usage by mediawiki/extensions (By which I mean that
any attribute starting with data-mw-, would be blocked by the
sanitizer. Thus if a user writes on a wikipage <span
data-mw-foo="bar"></span>, the data-mw-foo attribute would be
stripped). Thus if javascript sees such an attribute, it can know for
sure that the value is not direct untrusted user-input.

Anyone have any objections to doing this?

Bikeshed now about the choice of name for the prefix, or forever hold
your peace ;)

--
-bawolff