Pine W wrote:
>The hypothetical here is that I have a binary choice between Echo and
>Flow. In practice it's possible to develop them in parallel. With the
>hypothetical in mind, I'll outline why I would prioritize Echo.
>
>My thinking is that Echo is used widely on many, many wikis and is helpful
>to users of all skill levels. It must be years since I've heard someone
>say that they find the nature of Echo to be problematic. By contrast, the
>reception to Flow is more mixed. Also, as some of us are discussing with
>Lila, it may be feasible to extend VE  to talk pages and/or give some love
>to the wikimarkup editor at less expense and with less disruption than the
>expense and disruption involved with converting talk pages to Flow pages.
>
>[...]
>
> Flow has its supporters and I think that keeping it maintained and
>healthy on wikis where the communities like it is probably wise. Given
>the choice of investing more resources into further development of a
>product that has mixed reviews, is used on only some wikis, and about
>which community questions aren't answered, seems questionable to me when
>investing in a well-accepted and widely-used tool (Echo) is an
>alternative.

Hi.

Thank you for your reply. To me, it highlights and confirms a number of
troubling trends and a few misconceptions that I think really need to be
openly discussed and ultimately addressed. However, wikitech-l isn't the
most appropriate discussion venue for this, so I'll move to wikimedia-l.

MZMcBride