About the original topic of this thread, thank you Chris for the note
about this survey. I was hesitating about forwarding the email to this
list and/or feature the link in the Developer Relations Weekly
Summary, and you moved faster.  :)

A technical theme for IEG would be useful to channel efforts in a
certain direction. I just wonder how much we can reuse / complement
the ongoing Technical Wishlist survey that Community Tech is running
as we speak.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Community_Wishlist_Survey_description

I mean, once the results of the survey are public, there might be a
theme or more that can be extracted, and these themes could inspire
IEG grants focus, hackathons' focus, GSoC/Outreachy focus... Acquiring
a bigger mass thanks to these orchestrated actions could also help
influencing the WMF/WMDE developer teams backlogs, prioritizing their
work on potential dependencies, code review, mentoring... Do you see
the puzzle pieces and how they could be theoretically assembled?  :)

On the collateral topic of where to publish project concepts... it's
complicated. I think this deserves its own discussion in the context
of the WMF product development process in the drafts. I have created a
topic at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Su5sgwsd967s1nya. There
are other ongoing discussions related to the first steps of proposals
and experiments willing to be prioritized, and so far all of them are
referenced at the related task
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T115659.

Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil