We are half way through this year's Google Code-in contest:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in_2015

Thanks to our GCI contributors (and the help of Wikimedia's 31 mentors)
we have seen more than 150 tasks resolved already!

To list only some of the students' achievements:
 * More than a dozen of MediaWiki extensions converted to use extension
   registration
 * Confirmation dialogs in UploadWizard + TimedMediaHandler use OOjs-UI
 * Vagrant roles created for the EmbedVideo and YouTube extensions
 * Two more scraping functions in the html-metadata node.js library
   (used by Citoid)
 * Many MediaWiki documentation pages marked as translatable
 * lc, lcfirst, uc and ucfirst magic words implemented in jqueryMsg
 * Screenshots added to some MW extension homepages on mediawiki.org
 * ConfirmEdit's ReCaptchaNoCaptcha uses the UI language for the
   captcha
 * MobileFrontend, MultimediaViewer, UploadWizard, Newsletter, Huggle,
   and Pywikibot received numerous improvements (too many to list)
 * ...and many, many, many more.

Please join me in congratulating and thanking our contributors and
mentors for working hard on improving Wikimedia!

I'd also like to thank everybody on the #mediawiki and #wikimedia-dev
IRC channels who has helped with onboarding and answering questions.

Sounds interesting? Got a small well-defined task in mind you are
willing to mentor? Join and become a mentor if you aren't already! Read
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in_2015#Mentors.27_corner
and contact us if you need help!

Cheers,
andre