Rob, MZMcBride and All,

And what's a shepherd in relation to the facilitator of any specific
committee (if this is relevant)?

Can someone please circulate a summary of RUST decision-making again? (Is
this relevant -
https://oqi.wisc.edu/resourcelibrary/uploads/resources/Project_Prioritization_Guide_v_1.pdf
?)

Thank you,
Scott

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 7:08 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Rob Lanphier wrote:
> >In the ArchCom meeting earlier today, Daniel, Timo, Tim and I discussed
> >the way we handle RFC assignments in Phabricator.  Previously, the RFC
> >would frequently be assigned to person writing the RFC.  As we try out
> >the Rust model (per T123606 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123606>),
> >and as we try to increase the speed by which RFCs move though the
> >process, we thought it would make sense to also assign RFCs to shepherds
> >on the ArchCom.
> >
> >We didn't discuss all of the implications of this in the meeting today,
> >but we think this might help us scale our RFC triage process.  What do
> >you all think?
>
> I guess <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Governance>
> tries to answer the question "what's a shepherd?"
>
> ---
> * Nominate a shepherd from a (sub)team to guide an RFC through the process.
> ** Makes sure that stakeholders are informed.
> ** Guides the discussion.
> ** Once the discussion plateaus or stalls & in coordination with the RFC
>    author(s), announces and widely publicizes a "Final Comment Period",
>    which is one week.
> ---
>
> I'm still not really sure what any of this means. The biggest focus seems
> to be on speed and throughput for the RFC process itself, when the focus
> should actually be code quality, sustainability, and overall architecture.
>
> I found the recent RFC discussion about adding an expiration field to the
> watchlist table to be very disappointing. My impression was that people
> were more concerned with quickly pushing through a new feature (with
> unknown user interface implications) than with solving the deeper
> underlying problems we have with page lists.
>
> MZMcBride

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com
- Please donate to tax-exempt 501 (c) (3)
- World University and School
- via PayPal, or credit card, here -
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- or send checks to
- PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.