The right question here is: is it more important for Wikimedia foundation
to use only open source than it is to focus on work that directly benefits
the movement? There's no reasonable open source to do this function. The
ones that exist are terrible, are less efficient, and have to have hardware
dedicated to them. In either case it's going to cost money to handle this,
the question is, should it also cost engineering time?

Idealism comes at a pretty high cost. The foundation in the past has made a
pretty reasonable choice in the past in that they're willing to use
proprietary software for functions that aren't directly associated with the
projects. The decision is often focused on "if the community wanted to fork
the projects, would this proprietary software we're using be a problem?".
In this case the answer would be no.