Thanks for sharing this Katherine, and All,

Best regards,
Scott

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Katherine Maher <kma...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Lukas for bringing this back up. Since my name was mentioned, I'll
> share some context, but I'm copying my colleague Juliet Barbara who is best
> positioned to move this forward, as she is the current holder of our
> relationship with Greenpeace.
>
> The Comms, Finance, and COO teams met with Greenpeace in 2015 to discuss
> the ways the WMF could improve our overall environmental footprint. The
> Foundation already has some positive efforts underway formally and
> informally - IIRC, we included clean energy consumption as a factor in
> evaluating in our RFC for our choice of a backup colo a few years back, we
> are transparent (if not overly proactive) in disclosure of energy
> consumption, we have sensible policies around server efficiency and
> hardware replacement, and we have pushed for clean energy alternatives for
> our SF office consumption.
>
> We are less effective in areas such as advocacy and purchasing (e.g.,
> stating this is a priority for the movement, pushing our colos to provide
> clean sources/mixes). Some of these are questions of scale and efficiency -
> Ops runs a tight ship, and we're a relatively small footprint in our colos,
> so we don't necessarily have the ability to drive purchasing decisions
> based on scale alone.
>
> At the time the report came out, we started talking to Lukas about how we
> could improve our efforts at the WMF and across the movement, but we've had
> limited bandwidth to move this forward in the Foundation (and some
> transitions in our Finance and Operations leadership, who were acting as
> executive sponsors). However, I think it's safe to say that we'd like to
> continue to reduce our environmental impact, and look forward to the
> findings of this effort.
>
> Katherine
>
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Lukas Mezger <lukas.mez...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear MZMcBride and Brion,
> >
> > Thank you for your comments! Let me quickly respond to a few points.
> >
> > – I have in fact already looked at previous conversations regarding the
> > environmental impact of the Wikimedia movement, but apparently they never
> > went anywhere. From my point of view, the topic leaves no room for
> > cynicism, looking at how easy it is to improve the current situation.
> >
> > – In fact I would be grateful if you could point me to any information
> > about the WMF's energy use that I can understand.
> >
> > – It is probably true that our absolute numbers might not be very large,
> > but I think we should still set an example by having the servers run on
> > renewable energy, by asking the board to make a strong renewable energy
> > commitment, and by adopting a green investment strategy for the Wikimedia
> > endowment.
> >
> > – I have also been in a conversation with Greenpeace USA, so I can try to
> > answer any further questions regarding their report if needed. The report
> [...]

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com
- Please donate to tax-exempt 501 (c) (3)
- World University and School
- via PayPal, or credit card, here -
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- or send checks to
- PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.