:) I would like to think that April Fools would be a little more extreme
than this

Petr, the data people are downloading from dumps is not sensitive itself,
but a user's private information (such as User Agent, IP, etc. is
vulnerable over plain http).  So the move to https protects that from
snoopers like the NSA.  I don't have much to do with this change, and I
consider it beneficial, but does it cause any problems?