I would like to see Phabricator move to a virtual owed cluster, or even a
bare metal cluster. However, I would not include Phabricator in a list
of "not-so-resource-consuming
services."

Phabricator definitely uses significant amount of resources. It's running
on a 12 core server with 64gb ram and 500gb raid storage, currently.
That hardware
is a little bit more than required but not by very large margin.

I've recently requested a second machine to be used for a backup
Phabricator instance, so that we can avoid long downtimes during
maintenance or hardware failure. That request is still being discussed at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T131775

Phabricator is gaining improved high-availability support thanks to recent
work upstream, so it might be possible to have dual-master phabricator
nodes in the near future. See https://secure.phabricator.com/T10751 for
upstream progress.