[For your info]

I've spend some time in the last weeks rewriting and cleaning up our
technical Git / Gerrit / Code Review documentation on mediawiki.org.

135 edits later, things feel a bit cleaner. :)

=== Changes ===

There is a central Git/Gerrit "Troubleshooting" page linked from the
most relevant pages, instead of separate sections on three or four
different pages which partially duplicated content (setting up Git and
Gerrit on different operating systems had similar problems and missing
central information).
Some rather specific subpages were merged into existing pages (e.g.
into "Gerrit/Advanced usage").
The entrance page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit has a
"Prerequisites" section and the sections are now structured by usecase
/ type of user.
Some "too much detail" content was also removed (like the history of
the Git and Gerrit software; you can check Wikipedia as it's irrelevant
if you want just to get your patch done).

Full list of changes: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T134256#2317711

=== No changes ===

Some stuff I did not touch (as perfect is the enemy of good).
For example, I'm still wondering about the role of
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git_for_dummies compared to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Getting_started and
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Tutorial .
Plus I still consider the screenshots of command line text output
distractive on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Tutorial .

=== Thank you ===

Thank you a lot to everybody who provided feedback, answers to my
Gerrit questions, and helped editing those pages!

=== Next steps ===

After this technical documentation exercise, the next steps will focus
on soft / social+organizational aspects of code review:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129068
  Improve code contribution guidelines for patch authors by fixing
  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Code_review/Getting_reviews etchttps://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129067
  Agree on + document a structured, standardized approach for
  reviewing code contributions by fixing
  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Code_review etc.

Needless to say, your help is very welcome.
More information to come soon.

Cheers,
andre

--