On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Subramanya Sastry
<ssas...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> When [a detailed list of stuff is] done, it become far more feasible to think
> of defining
> a spec for wikitext parsing that is not tied to the internals of mediawiki
> or its extensions. At that point, you could implement templating via Lua or
> via JS or via Ruby ... the specifics are immaterial. What matters is those
> templating implementations and extensions produce output with certain
> properties. You can then specify that mediawiki-HTML is a series of
> transformations that are applied to the output of the wikitext parser ...
> and where there can be multiple spec-compliant implementations of that
> parser.
>
> I think it is feasible to get there. But, whether we want a spec for
> wikitext and should work towards that is a different question.

In our planning meeting (E250), we discussed this issue as a
possibility for next week's ArchCom office hour (E259).  We don't
(yet) have a specific RFC we can point to, but this seems ripe for a
discussion to answer whether we should work toward a spec.  Thoughts?

Rob