How is that different from becoming disgruntled while still working at WMF?
Or becoming disgruntled without ever joining? Or stolen credentials?

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017, 16:01 Kevin Smith <ksm...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Alex Monk <kren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You don't appear to be a developer. Even if you were, Brian said 'similar
> situation' - i.e., where someone had been granted rights before becoming
> WMF staff.

​I am a developer, but not a wikimedia developer (yet?). That's why I'm not
exactly clear on the potential risks of giving +2 rights to someone who
intends harm.

We are talking about exactly the same situation: Someone was a productive
volunteer, then staff, then no longer staff. 99+% of the time, they should
retain their rights, or get them back shortly after leaving. But there may
be cases where someone would be disgruntled, and if rights are automatic in
all cases, such a person could do damage. I'm just suggesting that there
should be a quick and simple check to be sure that's not the case. Being
without rights for a couple days doesn't seem like a small price to pay for
the safety of the project.

​Kevin​