> What exactly is "PagePreviews"?
>
> From
> <
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=pagepreviews
> >
> it looks to be the second renaming of the Popups extension/Hovercards,
> except this time it's named very similarly to the actual "show preview"
> feature...? Is there a rationale somewhere about the renaming?

Hi - sorry for the confusion!  The name change came as one of the results
from the qualitative testing
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Design_Research/Reading_Team_UX_Research/Hovercards_Usability#Answers_to_Research_Questions>
on the feature.  Since not all of our users know the definition of "hover",
the previous name was inappropriate.  "Page previews" was the most common
name with which the tested users referred to the feature naturally.

There's also a (very) short note on the beta feature page
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Beta_Features/Hovercards#Upcoming_Name_Change>
explaining the rationale.

- Olga
--
Olga Vasileva // Product Manager // Reading Web Team
https://wikimediafoundation.org/