I've set up MW 1.28 with VE/parsoid and everything is working well

However, when I edit in (any) wikitext editor and try to switch to VE, I am
presented with a dialog with only 2 choices: "Cancel" or "Discard my changes
and switch". Diving into the code I found I could change
ve.init.MWVESwitchConfirmDialog.js (line 58) from
  modes: [ 'restbase' ]
  modes: [ 'restbase', 'simple' ]

that adds "Switch" to the dialog box, but when this option is chosen, any
changes made in the wikitext editor are lost.

Is this a mis-configuration on my part or is switching from edited wikitext to
VE not supported? Do I need a RESTbase server to implement this functionality?