I *believe* so.  Both Parsoid and Visual Editor have extension interfaces.
However, they haven't really been used by folks outside WMF yet.  I'm eager
to have that change.

We're thinking about proposing a "Workshop" session at wikimania for "How
to write extensions for Parsoid and Visual Editor".  But the area's only
half-baked, it might be more appropriate to do it as a hackathon session
instead.  Thoughts?
  --scott

--
(http://cscott.net)