Hi James,

unfortunately it's currently a hard requirement. While it improved the
performance significantly for large content providers like Wikipedia
it made setting up mathoid on small privately hosted instances more
difficult. Setting up a simpler way to enable math on private wikis is
on my todo list.
However, this guide is the best pointer I can give at the moment:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math/Restbase

Please let me know if you encouter difficulties following the
instructions provided at this page.

Best

physikerwelt

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 6:48 PM, James Montalvo
<jamesmontal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Extension:Math removed client side MathJax support after MW 1.25. This
> makes setup of the Math extension considerably more difficult. Mathoid was
> fairly straightforward, but RESTBase seems like it is much more
> complicated. Is RESTBase a hard requirement? Is there any way to connect to
> Mathoid directly, the way VE can connect to Parsoid directly?
>
> Thank you,
> James

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Moritz Schubotz