There are also some newer initiatives for having a list of contributors
that is more prominently featured on the readme or docs, and that also
includes other kinds of contributions, not just code creation (docs,
design, review, funding, tutorials...).

I find the idea very appealing to recognize and empower all kinds of
contributions/contributors, it would be great to make a plan to move to
something similar: all-contributors
<https://github.com/kentcdodds/all-contributors>