Im assuming here that you cannot just edit mediawiki:common.css

What you are looking for is TemplateStyles. This is not enabled on english
wikipedia yet, but should be coming there soon (I think). It would allow
you to use @media styles for your pages. See
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:TemplateStyles for more details.

Templatestyles does not let you use css variables (the properties starting
with -- and the var() css function), but the example css you used could
easily be rewritten to not use that feature.

--
bawolff