The purpose is to say to developers if it's a new problem, or isn't. I can
think about six benefits:
1) It can save them the time for checking this.
2) It can be made better by task filer than by developer, because the first
knows better the problem.
3) It can save the time needed to them or other to find duplicate task,
because there are less tasks to check, only from the last week.
4) There are many cases when the filer have no way to give an instruction
to reproduce the bug, does not succeed to create such an instruction, or
the developer does not succeed to reproduce it. If the developer will know
that the bug is new, it will be much easier to they to recognize the
problem, or find the right way for reproduction.
5) Groups 0-1-2 are done (also) exactly for this. New wiki will just give 5
times more time to see the bugs, which not always come in the first day
only.
6) If there is some new bug that wasn't found on groups 0-1, but was found,
say, by enwiki user - and most of not tech users is there - they have not
another day to compare, as previous groups do.
About logs - I don't talk about extremally techs users, almost developers,
that can do all the research work by themselves, but about the most of them.
Igal