An encode latency of 7 seconds and decode latency of 1 second arent what I
would call "very fast" (the decode latency measurement probably isnt
realistic as decode and encode to png is different from just display in
browser. Then again all these measurements are going to vary by filesize,
not to mention low power devices like phones)

If it indeed takes 1 second to decode, thats probably more time than the
space savings would save time wise on a moderate speed internet connection.

And time is only one metric. Often image encoding is limitted by memory.

Anyways i'd be opposed to this unless the bandwidth saving was extreme.
Wikipedia is not the place to be a testing ground for experimental image
formats that browsers arent even supporting.

--
bawolff

p.s.lossless rotatio /cropping of jpegs is actually very common due to
rotatebot

On Monday, December 4, 2017, Ruben Kelevra <ru...@vfn-nrw.de> wrote:
> [...]
>> to recode FLIF files via a JavaScript library first.
> FLIF is very fast to decode via JavaScript, and in general, as the
> example shown above, it takes just 1 second to decode and encode a
> medium size image as PNG with just one thread on a pretty outdated
> notebook with an unoptimized decoder and encoder. :)
>
> Try adding a FLIF to a website and test out if the website load anywhat
> slower with the FLIF ... at the small image sizes you get on articles,
> the performance impact is neglectable and comparable to loading a font
> file to the browser.
>> 2. Lossy file formats like JPEG should never be converted to lossless
>> formats. This will actually decrease quality (over time). The problem
>> is that the image data will still contain the exact same JPEG
>> artifacts, but the fact that it was a JPEG (and how it was encoded) is
>> lost.
> Yes, but those images should never be saved as JPG in the first place.
> Even under Android RAW-Photography is going to be a thing. FLIF just
> started to get rudimentary RAW-capabilities, which means you can just
> convert the special RAW-File to a FLIF and upload it with any loss in
> quality.
>
>> No tool specialized in squeezing the maximum quality out of
>> lossy JPEGs can work anymore. And there are a lot of super-awesome
>> tools like this. Not only tools like JPEGCROP and such that can cut
>> and even combine JPEGs without actually recoding them.
> Well, if you really want to start a discussion about a lossless rotation
> of JPG files, let me guess how many uploads are rotated losslessly...
> 0.0002%?
>
>> There are also "JPEG repair" filters that know how to reverse the JPEG
> encoding
>> algorithm and can squeeze out a tiny little bit of extra information
>> regular JPEG decoders can't see.
> Great! Just recommend this for new uploads to be done if the source
> material is JPG, let the ppl convert it with this to PNG and then to
> FLIF or ask the FLIF maintainers if they want to add this as an
> import-filter, for FLIF itself! :)
>
> But the your argument was: "Think of all the resources that are burned
> to do this: CPU time, download and upload, database storage and time,
> disk storage for the new revision, and not to forget the user doing all
> this."
>
> Which perfectly fit's here too. On a 20 MPixel picture small JPG
> Artefacts are no issue at all, but users which Download the JPG and
> upload it again, after doing some needed work to it, like cropping or
> color enhancement, this is a problem. Each version get more artifacts
> and we constantly get a loss of quality which each revision...
>
> I don't think we should have accepted JPGs in the first place. :)
>
>> This said, I'm all for adding FLIF to the list of allowed file formats!
> Wonderful, hope I get some feedback from you on the things I pointed out!
:)