On Dec 22, 2017 3:03 PM, "C. Scott Ananian" <canan...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

I think a simple revert would be simplest.  Adding a feature flag adds new
possibilities of overlooked bugs, especially since this is "just" a
refactoring and so *in theory* shouldn't be changing anything.

Agreed, it's likely to introduce more bugs with a second code path that
way...

Maybe we could just cherry-pick a revert onto the Jan 2 branch, rather than
revert on master and then un-revert after the branch.  It shouldn't be
interpreted as any comment on code quality or "readiness", just a
reflection of the fact that the first deploy after the holiday will
inevitable cause *some* breakage, and in our eggnog-induced stupor it would
be nice if we could just rule out this refactor as contributing to whatever
the breakage turns out to be.  (That's why a feature flag doesn't seem
helpful to me; it would still be lines of code to comb through.  Better
either a clean revert or just deploy the thing as is.)

+1

-- brion

 --scott

(http://cscott.net)