As we shared in October, Facebook has been testing a new feature that uses
English Wikipedia content.[1] When users see news articles in their News Feed,
the new feature provides more context about the article's source by pulling
information about the publishers from English Wikipedia.[2]

The feature was initially made available to a limited number of users based in
the United States as a part of their product testing. Today, Facebook will
begin making this feature available to all of its users in the United States.

The Wikimedia Foundation first learned of the integration of Wikipedia content
into Facebook’s Article Context feature ahead of its initial beta launch in
October 2017. This new feature did not come from a partnership with the
Wikimedia Foundation, though we were in contact with Facebook’s product and
engineering teams ahead of this week’s launch.

During their test, Facebook was utilizing (and regularly updating) XML dumps to
get the Wikipedia content. As a part of the full rollout of this feature, they
will begin utilizing our API service - which provides them with more up-to-date
content. According to Facebook, the results of their tests resulted in ~500
views a day. We are confident that we will be able to handle the scaling up of
this feature. However, we will remain in contact with Facebook should any
performance tweaks become necessary.

We are always happy to see people, companies, and organizations recognize
Wikipedia’s value as a repository of free knowledge. At the same time, we are
encouraging companies who use Wikipedia’s content to give back in the spirit of
sustainability. Hopefully, Facebook will feel compelled to do so given their
increased recognition of the amazing free knowledge repository you all have
built together.

In the meantime, we are going to be tracking the impact of this new feature on
English Wikipedia. Including looking at how many people click on the link to
Wikipedia and seeing which pages are getting the most traffic. We will continue
to keep you updated on our conversations with Facebook and impact of this new
feature.

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-October/088791.html
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-October/088791.html>
[2] https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/04/news-feed-fyi-more-context/