I'm definitely supportive of greater security for sitewide JS/CSS, but
Bart's proposal is an interesting one. (Sorry for top posting, on mobile)

What if we required review of edits to JS/CSS in the MediaWiki namespace
(not in other namespaces), ala pending changes or something similar? We
require code review in Gerrit, so why not sitewide code in the wiki?

I propose this because if we split code editing rights into a separate
userright, this entails increased process bloat for managing who and who
doesn't get the right, the criteria for deciding that, and so on. Requiring
code review would allow for more flexibility while increasing security. It
would require less process bloat too because the community already has
mechanisms for requesting edits be confirmed via talk pages and such.