Hi,

I sometimes see WMF developers and product managers marking tasks as
"Declined" with comments such as these:
* "No resources for it in (team name)"
* "We won't have the resources to work on this anytime soon."
* "I do not plan to work on this any time soon."

Can we perhaps agree that the "Declined" status shouldn't be used like this?

"Declined" should be valid when:
* The component is no longer maintained (this is often done as
mass-declining).
* A product manager, a developer, or any other sensible stakeholder thinks
that doing the task as proposed is a bad idea. There are also variants of
this:
* The person who filed the tasks misunderstood what the software component
is supposed to do and had wrong expectations.
* The person who filed the tasks identified a real problem, but another
task proposes a better solution.

It's quite possible that some people will disagree with the decision to
mark a particular task as "Declined", but the reasons above are legitimate
explanations.

However, if the task suggests a valid idea, but the reason for declining is
that a team or a person doesn't plan to work on it because of lack of
resources or different near-term priorities, it's quite problematic to mark
it as Declined.

It's possible to reopen tasks, of course, but nevertheless "Declined" gives
a somewhat permanent feeling, and may cause good ideas to get lost.

So can we perhaps decide that such tasks should just remain Open? Maybe
with a Lowest priority, maybe in something like a "Freezer" or "Long term"
or "Volunteer needed" column on a project workboard, but nevertheless Open?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬