Hello all,

Here are the minutes from this week's TechCom meeting:

* Following up on the Technical Conference in Portland (aka TechConf aka
WMTC18). Some outcomes:

-- We discussed the idea of sharding the revision table, with the big question
being what key to shard on. Options include page ID and timestamp. Tim wants to
look into this next fiscal.

-- People were generally happy with the proposed Architecture Principles. Daniel
put some of the feedback we got on the talk page, for discussion:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/MediaWiki_Platform_Architecture_Principles>

-- More results of WMTC to follow over the next few weeks.

* TechCom is moving to alternating times for their meetings. The public RFC
discussions will alternate between the old time (Wednesday 2pm PST, 23:00 CET)
and a new time (Wednesday 11pm PST, Thursday 08:00 CET). Times were chosen to
allow people from the US, Europe and Australia to participate. Times may shift
again as we get feedback on the new arrangement.

* On Friday or Monday we’ll have PHP 7 working on the debug servers. Still
figuring out how to select using the browser extension. (Giuseppe)

* RFC accepted after last call: Spec for representing multiple content objects
per revision (MCR) in XML dumps  <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T199121>.
During the last call, an issue with the representation of content hashes was
addressed. For the new XML schema, see
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Schema_update_for_multiple_content_objects_per_revision_(MCR)_in_XML_dumps>.
Ariel and Daniel to follow up.

* RFC accepted after last call: Release notes automation
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T200392>. Kunal to follow up.

* No public RFC discussion next week.

* Upcoming RFC discussion (probably on November 14): Session storage service
interface <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T206010>.

* Upcoming RFC discussion (probably on November 21): Introduce a new namespace
for collaborative judgments about wiki entities (JADE)
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T200297>.

You can also find our meeting minutes at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Minutes>

See also the TechCom RFC board
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-rfcs/>.

If you prefer you can subscribe to our newsletter here:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Newsletter:TechCom_Radar>

-- daniel