Sure its certainly a front we can do better on.

I don't think Kasada is a product that's appropriate at this time. Ignoring
the ideological aspect of it being non-free software, there's a lot of easy
things we could and should try first.

However, I'd caution against viewing this as purely a technical problem.
Wikimedia is not like other websites - we have allowable bots. For many
commercial websites, the only good bot is a dead bot. Wikimedia has many
good bots. On enwiki usually they have to be approved, I don't think that's
true on all wikis. We also consider it perfectly ok to do limited testing
of bots before it is approved. We also encourage the creation of
alternative "clients", which from a server perspective looks like a bot.
Unlike other websites where anything non-human is evil, here we need to
ensure our blocking corresponds to social norms of the community. This may
sound not that hard, but I think it complicates botblocking more than is
obvious at first glance.

Second, this sort of thing is something that tends to far through the
cracks at WMF. AFAIK the last time there was a team responsible for admin
tools & anti-abuse was 2013 (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Admin_tools_development). I believe (correct
me if I'm wrong) that anti-harrasment team is all about human harassment
and not anti-abuse in this sense. Security is adjacent to this problem, but
traditionally has not considered this problem in scope. Even core tools
like checkuser have been largely ignored by the foundation for many many
years.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying - I think there should be a
team responsible for this sort of stuff at WMF, but there isn't one. I
think there's a lot of rather easy things we can try (Off the top of my
head: Better captchas. More adaptive rate limits that adjust based on how
evilish you look, etc), but they definitely require close involvement with
the community to ensure that we do the actual right thing.

--
Brian
(p.s. Consider this a volunteer hat email)