I actually meant a different type of maintenance.

Maintaining the encyclopedia (and other wiki projects) is of course an
activity that needs software support.

But software is also something that needs maintenance. Technology,
standards, circumstances change over time. Software left alone will
"bitrot" over time. A long term technical strategy to do anything needs to
account for that, plan for that. One off feature development does not.
Democratically directed one-off feature development accounts for that even
less.

So lets say that ORES/magic AI detects something is a bot. Then what?
That's a small part of the picture. In fact you don't even need AI to do
this, plenty of the vandal bots have generic programming language
user-agents (AI could of course be useful for long-tail here, but there's
much simpler stuff to start off with). Do we expose this to abusefilter
somehow? Do we add a tag to mark it in RC/watchlist? Do we block it? Do we
rate limit it? What amount of false positives are acceptable? What is the
UI for all this? To what extent is this hard coded, and to what extent do
communities control the feature? etc

We don't need products to detect bots. Making products to detect bots is
easy. We need product managers to come up with socio-technical systems that
make sense in our special context.

--
Brian