Hi,
Wiki communities can ask to override their default configurations
(following consensus). The reasons to override may vary:

   1. *customization* for community to align to community specific policy
   (example: special namespaces / upload policy/user groups rights defined per
   project and language version)
   2. *technical dispute* where community and engineering don't agree
   (example:  VE as single tab for enwiki[1], disabling description tagline in
   enwiki[2] etc).

Technical dispute are problematic - if the product is not good enough
engineering and community should ideally come with a solution how to
address the issues. We can define a plan to fix the product (disable till
task X is fixed), enable/disable feature in the USER level if it is a
matter of choice (not the site level) etc.
Anyway we should try to avoid letting specific communities override
defaults for long term if there is no community specific reason to override
the configuration. This create a jungle of configurations, inconsistent UI
across languages and more complex maintenance etc.

This is a call for action for the wiki communities and engineering:

   - Engineering - consider to align all wikis to similar configuration if
   it isn't community customization but "technical dispute"
   - Communities - consider whether these configurations are old and can be
   removed

Examples of issues found in wmf-config:

   - VisualEditor tabs (wmgVisualEditorUseSingleEditTab 60 wikis "Deploying
   slowly with community advanced notice"?
   wmgVisualEditorSingleEditTabSecondaryEditor - enwiki overrides the default
   editor)
      - and more generally enabling VE deployments:
      https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor/Rollouts
      - Patroling
      - wgUseRCPatrol - disabled by default but ~80 wikis enable it. Should
      be enabled for all wikis? (if not - what is missing from getting it
      deployed in more wikis? are there alternative feature for it
used in other
      wikis?)
      - wgUseNPPatrol/wgUseFilePatrol - few wikis override it. Do we really
      need to override it?
   - wgImportSources
   - Each wiki define arbitrary list of wikis it import from. We should get
      rid of it and allow import between any Wikimedia site. See
      https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T17583
   - wmgUseSandboxLink
      - Enabled in 80 wikis. Why not enabling it everywhere?
   - wmgUseWikiLove -enabled in ~50 wikis including enwiki. is there a
   reason to not enable in all wikis?

Thanks,
Eran