On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 3:49 PM John Erling Blad <jeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The devs is not the primary user group, and they never will be. An
> editor is a primary user, and (s)he has no idea where the letters
> travels or how they are stored. A reader is a primary user, and
> likewise (s)he has no idea how the letters emerge on the screen.

The devs are just one of several in a stakeholder group, and focusing
> solely on whatever ickyness they feel is like building a house by
> starting calling the plumber.

Nobody claimed they were. In fact, everyone said the opposite. I think
you're just misunderstanding the definitions of the words being used(?)

> > Sales dept usually dont advocate for bug fixing as that doesnt sell
> > products, new features do, so i dont know why you are bringing them up.
> > They also dont usually deal with technical debt in the same way somebody
> > who has never been to your house cant give you effective advice on how to
> > clean it.
>
> A sales dep is in contact with the customer, which is a primary user
> of the product. If you don't like using the sales department, then say
> you have a support desk that don't report bugs. Without anyone
> reporting the bugs the product is dead.
>
> Actually this is the decade old fight over "who owns the product". The
> only solution is to create a real stakeholder group.
>
> > That said, fundamentally you want user priorities (or at least *your*
> > priorities. Its unclear if your priorities reflect the user base at
> large)
> > to be taken into consideration when deciding developer priorities? Well
> > step 1 is to define what you want. The wmf obviously tries to figure out
> > what is important to users, and its pretty obvious in your view they are
> > failing. Saying people are working on the wrong thing without saying what
> > they should work on instead is a self-fulfiling prophecy.
>
> Not going to answer this, it is an implicit blame game

Well lets make it explicit - If you want change, but refuse to say what
change (whether that be structural or whether that be specific bugs you
want fixed) then it is 100% your fault that the change doesn't happen.
Complaining people/orgs won't change but not saying how you want people to
change is just a waste of everyone's time.

Developers are people not telepaths.

--
Brian