In the script I am working on,[1] I have a PanelLayout that is defined like
this:

        this.previewResult = new OO.ui.PanelLayout({
          expanded: true,
          padded: true,
          framed: true,
          $content: ''
        });

Later on, I would like to modify the content of this; specifically, I want
to use MW API to retrieve the parsed output of some short wikitext. For
now, however, I just want to try out the concept by replacing the content
with a simple <p> tag.

Evidently, this line of code does not do the trick:

        dialog.previewResult.$content = '<p>Something</p>';

That is, it does update the value of the $content property for the OOUI
object, but that does not result in the object getting re-rendered. None of
the setter functions for OO.ui.PanelLayout seem to do the trick either.

What is the correct way to do this? If PanelLayout is not the right object
type for this purpose, what is?