> It complicates extension installation

One could just copy and paste the existing migration code and just change
the SQL to the right CREATE TABLE, and be done. If you just have to create
a table, you will only have to do that once, no maintenance required.
Trying to fit values into existing tables, however will create a lot of
maintenance headaches, as Brian said.

# include/Hooks.php
$base = __DIR__ . "/../sql";
$updater->addExtensionTable( 'extension_value', $base .
'/ExtensionValue.sql' );
# sql/ExtensionValue.sql
CREATE TABLE extension_value (
k varchar(100) PRIMARY KEY,
v int NOT NULL,
);

If you are overwhelmed with SQL or mediawiki migration system please just
ask for help and people here, including me, will be able to help! :-D
Mediawiki core code can be intimidating because support of several
databases systems and its long history of schema changes, but in your case
adding a table should not take more than 2 files that are never touched
again :-D. Update.php will have to be run anyway on core updates. Handling
mysql and queries is way more difficult than creating it in the first place!

Or maybe we are not understanding what you are trying to achieve. 0:-)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> > Why are you so reluctant to create a table?
>
> It complicates extension installation and adds yet another thing to
> maintain. Which is a bit silly for a handful of values. I was hoping
> MediaWiki would have a generic table to put such things already. Page_props
> is exactly that, just bound to specific pages.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw | www.EntropyWins.wtf <https://EntropyWins.wtf>
> Professional wiki hosting and services: www.Professional.Wiki
> <https://Professional.Wiki>
> Software Crafter | Speaker | Entrepreneur | Open Source and Wikimedia
> contributor ~=[,,_,,]:3

Jaime Crespo
<http://wikimedia.org>