On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 6:39 PM Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Whatever danger is embodied in Amir's code, it's only a matter of time
> before this danger is ubiquitous. And for the worst-case
> scenario—governments using the technology to hunt down dissidents—I imagine
> this is already happening. So while I agree there is a moral consideration
> to releasing this software, I think the moral implications aren't actually
> that huge. Eventually, we will just have to accept that creating separate
> accounts is not an effective way to protect your identity.

Deanonymizing wiki accounts is one way of misusing the tool, and one which
would indeed happen anyway. Another scenario is an attacker examining the
tool with the intent of misleading it (such as using an adversarial network
to construct edits which the tool would consistently misidentify as
belonging to a certain user, which could be used to cast suspicion on a
legitimate user). That specifically depends on the model being publicly
available.