I tried setting MW_DOCKER_UID and MW_DOCKER_GID both to 0, and that at
least allows me to see the various files - it looks like the apache log
files are on the -web container under /tmp/, I hadn't noticed that before.
So that's at least part of the answer. On the main mediawiki container
there is a log file in /tmp/php7.2-fpm.log but it doesn't seem to log very
much there; I'm still getting 500 server errors when I try to set
$wgDebugLogFile and can't find any trace of what the problem is.

  Arthur