On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 3:10 PM Andrew Otto <o...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> This isn't helpful now, but your use case is relevant to something I hope
> to pursue in the future: comprehensive mediawiki change events, including
> content.  I don't have a great place yet for collecting these use cases, so
> I added it to Modern Event Platform parent ticket
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185233> so I don't forget. :)

I don't think this is the use-case at all. As someone else already pointed
out, diffs don't always give you the context and might be unparsable
wikitext. So what you can do is either:
1) Send always the full content of the page changed in the stream, along
with the diff. This is IMHO extremely wasteful, but it's also easy to
implement
2) find a way to analyze the edits  and emit specialized event tags that
define what has changed. This is the correct way to go forward, IMHO, but
it requires much more engineering time.

I don't think there is really a big value in adding the full content of the
page to every edit event. I'd rather suggest that people fetch the parsoid
HTML from the API, and ensure we do good edge-side caching.

Cheers,

Giuseppe
P.S. Please note that I'm only referring to streams offered to tools and in
general to the public internet. Internally to the production cluster the
use of content in events might (or might not) prove directly useful in some
cases.

--
Giuseppe Lavagetto
Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation