On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:22 AM Antoine Musso <has...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 20/07/2021 à 09:48, Riccardo Coccioli a écrit :
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 3:38 AM Petr Pchelko <ppche...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>> Alternative solutions
>>
>> We could write a custom merge driver for RELEASE-NOTES which always puts
>> ‘ours’ before ’theirs’,
>> but I’m not sure the result will justify the investment.
>

> Probably overkill for MediaWiki but I'd like to mention the way that Python
> developers (CPython) manages their release notes, in case it might be useful.
> The TL;DR is that each change has a unique valid reStructuredText file in a
> specific directory and then there is a tool to merge all changes when a
> release is made.
>
> The full process from a contributor point of view is described in [1].
> The tool used to both generate the change files and merge them into a release
> file is [2].
>
> [1]
> https://devguide.python.org/committing/#updating-news-and-what-s-new-in-python
> [2] https://pypi.org/project/blurb/
>
> OpenStack has a similar tool: reno. The doc has an overview of the
> requirements: https://docs.openstack.org/reno/latest/user/design.html and the
> usage doc for quick glance:
> https://docs.openstack.org/reno/latest/user/usage.html
>
> There is an a 30 mins presentation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEOGJ_h0Lx0
>
> Short of having to introduce a Python tool to the developers, maybe the PHP
> ecosystem has a similar tool?  Or we can reach out to other high traffic
> projects and see how they are managing their changelog and maybe forge a
> common tool.

https://github.com/Automattic/jetpack-changelogger is a similar tool
to reno that is pure php and composer installable. Some of you may
recognize the primary author too if you check the git history there.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Technical Engagement      Wikimedia Foundation
Principal Software Engineer                               Boise, ID USA