[Apologies for cross-posting]

Hi all,

We're excited to announce the launch of the Wikimedia Research Fund
[1] with the goal of diversifying the network of Wikimedia researchers
globally and supporting the Wikimedia Movement in deeper understanding
of the projects, decision making, and building new
technologies.

The reason we're reaching out to you, as the developer community, is
that we believe one of the ways research can be impactful is through
its use in tools/code and as developers, you have knowledge of what
research can support you in your work. (Examples, OCR for specific
languages, better NLP models in your local language, other ML models
for specific tasks that you want your tools to offer, and more.)

The deadline to apply is January 3, 2022. We intend to give funds of
value USD 2k-50k.

More info at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Programs/Wikimedia_Research_%26_Technology_Fund#Wikimedia_Research_Fund
.

Big thanks to Emily Lescak for all her behind-the-scenes work to make
the launch of the Research Fund possible, and to the Community
Resources team at the Wikimedia Foundation for giving us the
opportunity and the funds.

If you have questions, please reach out to us at
research_f...@wikimedia.org, meta [2], here, or in one of our upcoming
office hours [3]! :)

Best,
the Research Fund committee chairs
Benjamin Mako Hill (University of Washington)
Leila Zia (Wikimedia Foundation)

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Programs/Wikimedia_Research_%26_Technology_Fund#Wikimedia_Research_Fund
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:Start