Based on my prior research I'm pretty sure GLTF support -- a well-supported
modern format that allows textures -- is not a huge amount of work to add.
Mostly needs cleanup of the old code & updating dependencies, and adding
appropriate validation.

I am planning to get to that this year, after we wrap up some more
improvements to audio/video making sure we can update the thumbnailing
system; but I don't know if we'll be able to squeeze any other 3d-specific
features in yet.

-- brion