The performance team are progressively deploying the MediaWiki
multi-DC project. This project allows us to make use of servers in the
Dallas data center which were previously idle. When the project is
fully deployed, most MediaWiki backend GET requests will be routed to
whichever data center is nearest to the CDN node at which the request
is received.

Deployment plan:

  * Stage 1: test.wikipedia.org and test2.wikipedia.org. Already done.
  * Stage 2: mediawiki.org. Planned for deployment on August 15.
  * Stage 3: traffic percentage. A small percentage of all requests
    will be sent to the nearest DC. Date undecided, but could be as
    early as August 22.
  * Stage 4: full deployment. Date TBA. But it will be soon. If you
    need to update your tools, please start updating.

For more details, see T279664 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T279664>.

I'm not aware of any blockers. As far as I know, we could fully deploy
it now and it would more or less work. If you think otherwise, please
let us know.

-- Tim Starling