Thanks Srishti for taking the first pass answering this question.

I've created a Wikitech page to centralize the information about
alternatives and reasoning behind the MCS deprecation
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/MCS_decommission

I hope that helps, and we can use it to add more information as we learn
moving forward.

Cheers,
Mateus Santos