Hi,
Thank you for your email to wikitech-l about this. These days we have a robust
alerting infrastructure so when outages like what we had yesterday happens.
People who are on-call get notified automatically and start working on it. We
were aware of the outage and have been working on fixing the immediate problem
and its follow ups. We will continue doing that during the next week as well
(alongside with post-incident meeting to prevent future outages like this).

To help with the communication regarding such outages, there is
https://www.wikimediastatus.net/ now [1]. In large-scale ones, we keep that
page updated so users would know what is going on (like what we did yesterday:
https://www.wikimediastatus.net/incidents/3px26xmlwx0g). If you notice an
outage and it's not reflected in the wikimedia status page, you can report that
in #wikimedia-operations IRC channel. Some of volunteers have access to
klaxon.wikimedia.org to manually trigger a page and wake up SREs if needed.

In some cases, you might have trouble accessing Wikipedia but it's not a global
issue. In reporting such cases, you can follow
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reporting_a_connectivity_issue (if wikitech
is inaccessible, you can try
https://wikitech-static.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reporting_a_connectivity_issue)

Hope that helps

[1]: Be advised that wikimediastatus.net is not hosted by Wikimedia (for
redundancy purposes), and that the Atlassian privacy policy
(https://www.atlassian.com/legal/privacy-policy#what-this-policy-covers)
applies when visiting. Wikitech
(https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimediastatus.net) offers more details
on the rationale.