For what it's worth: the Translate extension page at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_example#About_titles
claims that there should be a blank line after section titles so that the
extension can consider titles as separate elements than text because
"Adding a blank line allows translators to know when they can take a break.
Plus it prevents issues with wikitext."