I think it is unlikely MediaWiki will be modified in such a way to show
different images between light and dark mode. (I assume) we generally want
to avoid having to split the parser cache between light mode/dark mode.

I guess you could use template styles to display:none one of the images
depending on mode, but that seems pretty icky.

--
Bawolff