Dear Team,

About six years ago, we deployed the Newsletter extension[1] to
mediawiki.org. Since then, we've seen some active newsletters, with the
most popular one boasting over 300 subscribers. Although there were many
discussions about bringing this extension to the meta cluster, not much
progress has been made. Recently, a few of us revisited these past
discussions and began addressing the issue of "interwiki support" for the
extension. Currently, the extension uses a local table and notifies locally
on the wiki, and our goal is to make it global.

Thanks to some discussions with Addshore and others in 2018, we came up
with a plan to make the extension truly inter-wiki. Since I have been
inactive for some time, I want some help to see if the plan still works, or
if there is a better way to achieve this. The plan, in short was:

   1. We install the extension on all wikis in the main cluster, but all
   installations point to one table in meta. We need to store some sort of a
   pointer in the table, hence to know what the siteId of the wiki is. I need
   some help/examples of how this can be done. Do we store $wgSiteId into one
   of the main tables, or is there some other id that we can store to identify
   a wiki in our clusters? Also see some initial WIP changes done during that
   time here [3]. Also, is it nice to have code that would look very wikimedia
   cluster specific in the extension?
   2. Publishers publishing newsletter in their local wikis can either
   choose to make the newsletter available globally or locally.
   3. Notifications of new newsletter issues <-- I need some clarity on
   this one as well, we could notify on the $wgSiteId if it exists, else on
   meta.

So yes, we are looking for some help, specially on (1) above, and if
someone has some inputs/comments, please reply here, or in the phab task
[2].

Thank you.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Newsletter
[3]