Bradley Baetz wrote:

> Ove Kaaven wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Bradley Baetz wrote:
> >
> > > Also, the msacm/msacm32 dll pair is used for the audio compression
> > > manager. In order to do conversions the builtin versions have to be
> > > used.
> >
> > Are you sure that's what it says? The documentation is quite ambiguous at
> > that point.
>
> This is from discussions with Eric earlier this year.
>
> I think its ambiguous because its confusing :) That file is no longer
> really a status file, and should probably be split up a bit.
>

> > > Hows this for some text, paraphrased from the docs:
> >
> > That text apparently applies to msacm.drv, and in my interpretation says
> > that built-in msacm.drv only works if you also use built-in msacm and
> > msacm32.
>
> That's probably right, although I haven't tested that. If that is the
> case, then is it possible for the three files to be linked with
> [DllTriplet], or a pair of dllpair entries in whatever file those have
> moved to? Does the code handle entries appearing twice?

to be precise:
msacm.drv is the wave mapper (it both allows to choose from several physical
output device, as well as inserting filtering and conversion algorithms
between an audio stream provided by an application, and the audio stream
the hardware is able to render
msacm.drv uses the DLL pair msacm/msacm32 to provide the loading/unloading
an invocation of those filters and conversions (which are external DLLs)

there are three layers to look at:
mmsystem/winmm
msacm.drv
msacm/msacm32

native mmsystem/winmm requires native msacm.drv (for 16/32 issues)
native msacm.drv is 16 bit, so relies on msacm. builin msacm is not as well
implemented as builtin msacm32

I don't remember all the details, but IIRC, I couldn't get native msacm/msacm32
to run because of registry settings I never bothered to look into

currently, the only working solution is
mmsystem/winmm/msacm.drv/msacm/msacm32 all builtin
however, mmsystem/winmm/msacm.drv builtin and msacm/msacm32 native should be made
working as well as
mmsystem/winmm builtin and msacm.drv/msacm/msacm32 native

A+
--
Eric Pouech (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eric.pouech/)