hello francois!

> > 1. you can choose if you want to generate new or edit existing
> >    wine.conf file.
>
> Generating new wine.conf would have default value? The generated wine.conf
> should have comments in it...

right, i meant something like that

> > 2. choose a location of your wine.conf file
>
> hmmm... that depends of the installation directory, eg. you install it
> under /usr or /usr/local (...) IMHO, the default value should be
> /usr/local/etc since default install directory should be /usr/local

it will look on usual locations, (like /usr/local/etc/wine.conf,
~/.winerc ...) and will create list-box with some possibilities for you.
also you can choose "other location" than suggested.

> this way we would get
>
> binaries in /usr/local/bin
> libraries in /usr/local/lib
> .conf file in /usr/local/etc
>
> Moreover, keep in mind each user can have a .winerc which overrides
> wine.conf value. The wizard could have a "site" mode, where you change
> settings in wine.conf (as root, typically) and a user mode where you can
> change only the .winerc settings. I would be possible to switch in site
> mode by prompting for root password...

maybe...maybe it don't have to care about things like that. if you would
like edit global wine.conf
file, you must have write permission to that file. if you don't have,
you will be noticed.

> Ultimate wine hacker dream feature... The editor screen splits in two.
> Upper pane is for wine.conf/.winerc editing. The bottom pane updates itself
> with information for each setting, as you cursor move from line to line
> (some OS/2 config.sys editors behaved like this)

wow :-)
what's written in bottom pane, for example? isn't it the same as
comments in wine.conf file?

martin