On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 09:17:32PM +0200, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> for moving and deleting otherwise busy file, windows enters these
> files to move in wininit.ini. At the next start of windows this file
> is processed once early in the windows start up sequence. This is done
> by a MZ-executable wininit.exe.

This is true only for Win9x. As for WinNT, there is registry value under
"HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    PendingRenameOperations:REG_MULTI_SZ
which contains for each rename operation two lines - old and new name; and
if new name is empty then the file is deleted.
And if you use '--winver nt40' then installers like InstallShit, etc. will
write strings to that registry value.

But I don't understand the problem! As far as I know, "unlink (2)" system call
kills any file (even used one) provided user have permissions fot it (see more
details in man page). So delete operation is pure "unlink" and
rename is "unlink(target)" + "rename".
Or am I wrong?

Bye.