Forgive me if this is a repost, our news server ate my last message:

Currently in WineHQ, volume labels are 11 characters (from the DOS
restriction of 11 character drive labels). However in Corel Wine, we
have uppped the number to 32 characters, to support reading of CD-ROM
labels.

Clearly in Windows, it is possible to have a volume label longer than 11
characters, and also longer than 32 characters (think of network
drives). Does anyone know what the actual limit is? A quick look at the
MDSN documentation for GetVolumeInformation and SetVolumeLabel doesn't
tell me anything.

Is there any reason that we should restrict volume labels to such small
numbers? Perhaps DOSDRIVE.label_conf could be a longer, while keeping
label_read as 11 or possibly 32 chars. Thoughts?

--
Patrick Dubroy
x5361