Someday we will actually write the contents for the wine/documentation/patches.sgml
file and this question will be easier to answer :)

Here is some draft content for the file that I would add if only I felt I were
competent in SGML:  Amend away folks!

Patch Format
============

Your patch should include:

        * a description of what was wrong and what is now better (and now broken :).
        * your contact information ( Name|Handle and e-mail )
        * the patch in "diff -u" format (it happens...)

"cvs diff -u" works great for the common case where a file is edited.  However, if you
add or remove a file cvs diff will not report that correctly so make sure you
explicitly take care of this rare
case.

For additions: mention that you have some new files and include them as either
separate attachments or by appending "diff -Nu"s of them to any "cvs diff -u" output
you may have.

For removals, list the files.

Quality Assurance
=================

(Or, "How do I get Alexandre to apply my patch quickly so I can build on it and it
will not go stale?")

Make sure your patch applies to the current CVS head revisions.  If a bunch of patches
are commited to CVS that may affect whether your patch will apply cleanly then verify
that your patch does
apply!   Cvs update is your friend!

Save yourself some embarasment and run your patched code against more than just your
current test example.  Experience will tell you how much effort to apply here.

        Albert.

--
Albert den Haan, Lead Developer @ Linux Port Team . Corel Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   x 5318