Francois Gouget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    Yes. I assume that Windows keeps some sort of list of entries that
> must be adapted to each user. Or maybe it's all based on variables like
> %SYSTEMDIR% so that it works fine.

My impression is that both .Default and HKEY_CURRENT_USER are
generated from some sort of template; I don't think HKEY_CURRENT_USER
is generated from .Default directly. I just created a new user on my
NT box and there are a number of keys that are different from
.Default, not only for paths, but even things like screen saver
parameters.

>    We can do it this way. Whether the setup is done by Wine itself (C
> code) or by a shell script is transparent for the user anyway. A shell
> script may be better because it is more flexible.

And this flexibility is important: if you have a Winelib app that
wants its own version of the registry it must be able to change the
setup script without having to change the Wine code itself.

>    Maybe the template should be the file for the .Default key itself.
> Then we would replace things like %USERNAME% using sed.
>    One thing to do is to check what this key actually contains on
> Windows 9x and NT. I don't know if it contains user specific paths like
> the one you mention. If not then it would be interesting to find out
> where these come from (user management, NT policy editor???).

.Default does contain user-specific paths too (for instance the
Programs dir is C:\WINNT\Profiles\Default User\Start Menu\Programs) so
it cannot be used directly as a template.

--
Alexandre Julliard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]